Saturday 24 January 2009

About the prototype

My current prototype is a very simple program using the Windows GDI to draw stuff to screen. Once I've got the isometric engine running I intend to use my 2D OpenGL wrapper to make the most of 3D accelerated graphics cards that most PC's are using. When it comes to drawing stuff, the GDI is extremely slow compared to OpenGL or DirectX and doesn't allow all the cool features that graphics cards are capable of (alpha blending mainly) but for the time being it allows me to experiment without worrying too much about initialising windows, loading textures into video memory and all the other boring stuff that comes with using either of the main APIs. I just want to get the basic core of it up and in time I can port it to OpenGL and maybe make a really cool game.
Here's some pics of where I'm at or you can download the actual program using the link on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment